Monday, April 12, 2010

The Rogue Mage Trilogy by Faith Hunter



This is my new favorite trilogy and my new favorite author. I can't say enough good things about this trilogy. I couldn't put the books down. I really, really didn't want to finish the last book because I didn't want the trilogy to be over. The characters were so real to me.

The trilogy is set in a post-Apocalyptic world where the Bible's apocalyptic prophecies came true. Angels, seraphs appeared on Earth and carried out plagues of disease and famine. Now, there is a fraction of the population still living, angels appear periodically, mages have been born, and law is kept by church officials.

Throughout the trilogy, there was a question of whether or not the Seraphs were truly agents of the Most High God or if they were aliens who had used Biblical prophecy to their advantage. I like the books that make you question your beliefs--I think it is healthier for your faith to question, ponder, and reaffirm the things you believe than to remain stagnant. That was one of my favorite things about the trilogy.

Thorn is a mage living in North Carolina. She is in hiding because she is an unlicensed mage and cannot live in the mage enclaves because she can hear the thoughts of all the other neomages. She is a stone mage with an affinity for gemstones. While angels have come to Earth, so have demons. Unfortunately, they live under the mountain next to Thorn's haven.

Thorn and her friends battle the darkness living under the mountain, meet seraphs and cherubim, use magic, and generally have great adventures in the three books. I don't even want to share any of it because I know that whatever I have to say won't do it any justice! Please, go get these books and read them! You won't be sorry.

No comments: