Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Category Five by T.J. MacGregor

I think this is one of my new favorite authors! I loved this book! There are several others with the same characters, and I'm going to be looking for them the next time I hit the library.

Mira is a psychic bookstore owner. She lives with her 15-year-old daughter Annie, her (also psychic) grandmother Nadine, and her fiance Shep, an FBI agent in the Florida Keys. As a storm that is predicted to rival Andrew's category 5 hurricane heads towards the Keys, Mira is asked by Shep's supervisor to read a crime scene at a local jail where two inmates have been broken out by a man in an armored Hummer.

As Mira's grandmother says, her readings end up entangling her life with the lives of those she reads. Mira, Shep, Nadine, and Annie end up entangled with Tia, Crystal and Billy Joe. The hurricane is coming closer, and preparations for it must be made. At the same time, the FBI and local law enforcement are trying to find these dangerous fugitives before the hurricane hits land.

This book was really complex, with the stories of the different characters woven together. The author did an excellent job of weaving the stories in such a way that you never lost track of what was going on with any of the characters at any given point in time. In my opinion as a writer, that's definitely a difficult thing to do!

It was action-packed and a real page-turner until the last. I was kept anxious about whether the hurricane would hit or not, and whether law enforcement would locate the fugitives or not. I really related to all the characters, and the psychic "powers" were wholly believable. I wasn't happy with what happened between a couple of the characters in the end, so I'm going to have to read the next book to make sure that things turn out the way I think they should!

I would recommend this book to people who are interested in the paranormal, weather, and thrillers!

No comments: